Why our IQ levels are higher than our grandparents' | James Flynn

In 1900, only 3% of Americans practiced professions that were deemed “cognitively demanding.” Today, 35% of us do, and we have all learned to be flexible in the way that we think about problems. In this fascinating and fast-paced spin through the cognitive history of the 20th century, moral philosopher James Flynn makes the case that changes in the way we think have had surprising (and not always positive) consequences.

TEDTalks is a daily video podcast of the best talks and performances from the TED Conference, where the world’s leading thinkers and doers give the talk of their lives in 18 minutes (or less). Look for talks on Technology, Entertainment and Design — plus science, business, global issues, the arts and much more.
Find closed captions and translated subtitles in many languages at

Follow TED news on Twitter:
Like TED on Facebook:

Comments

• Brilliant mind.love the man.

Vick Giragosian April 25, 2020 7:56 pm Reply
  • amazing!

Nabanita Bag April 25, 2020 7:56 pm Reply
  • We can get the IQ test answers on our smartphones. 😀

Ryan Henderson April 25, 2020 7:56 pm Reply
  • This man certainly needs no Powerpoint.

Martin S April 25, 2020 7:56 pm Reply
  • Say, is this the guy who voices all the TOEFL college lecture audio clips lol

Piquant Pickle April 25, 2020 7:56 pm Reply
  • It is NOT in the Quran to kill your raped daughter…… And its disgusting that someone as educated as this man to say it as a fact!!

Jimm April 25, 2020 7:56 pm Reply
  • I hear it's decreasing now.

channel break April 25, 2020 7:56 pm Reply
  • so the raped daughter has to be killed? why is this idiot delivering this talk if he can't get his facts right?

Minhaaj Rehman April 25, 2020 7:56 pm Reply
  • Flat earther exists

Accurate Gamer April 25, 2020 7:56 pm Reply
  • An IQ test is an out dated test

A9SIX TV April 25, 2020 7:56 pm Reply
  • What is Rotogenflux Methods? We have noticed numerous awesome things about this iq boost secrets.

Lacey Simon April 25, 2020 7:56 pm Reply
  • Imagine this progression getting so fast to the point that the most intelligent people on the world are all under ten years of age.

Zenovarse April 25, 2020 7:56 pm Reply
  • Mankind has certainly become better in the theoretical & abstract areas. Unfortunately , there has been a marked loss in high end practical developments ; like going back to the Moon…. definitely better at pretending in cyberspace today… Also,
    James is so right , in that people being less wise , when it comes to Politics ; just take a look around you…

Marsh April 25, 2020 7:56 pm Reply
  • nore avo god doen't know what his doing two logical attractions.. ender's shadow..etc…

Justin Meta Sane's Country of a Better India April 25, 2020 7:56 pm Reply
  • Hmmm, I found data, that IQ was growing till 1975. After this date it is decreasing (Norway, Uk). Could you confirm or deny it?

Krzysztof D April 25, 2020 7:56 pm Reply
  • What a badass!!

hotxhotguy April 25, 2020 7:56 pm Reply
  • The couldn't empathize

Margit Hammer April 25, 2020 7:56 pm Reply
  • St. Augustine wasn't black, Northern Africans have olive skin, not black…

Just a lil' drink April 25, 2020 7:56 pm Reply
  • Yesterday I also thought:
    "If most boomers today are narrow-minded, stupid, and holding society back from progressing forward, then just how horrible was it back when their grandparents were alive?"

Dave Cullins April 25, 2020 7:56 pm Reply
  • Simply, exposure.

Arif Koçer April 25, 2020 7:56 pm Reply
  • #writeinYang
    #HUMANITYFIRST

C S April 25, 2020 7:56 pm Reply
  • I didnt know "the colonels lady, and judy ogrady are sisters under the skin" was dickens.
    I have learnt the line was from Rudyard Kipling's poem The Ladies

Ian King April 25, 2020 7:56 pm Reply
  • I think he is a satirist who set out to show that if you speak in the dulcet tones of a gifted 'storyteller' (who might be literally be anyone – from a professional narrator to n authority figure of any sort – politician, demagogue, whatever) you can get people to listen to and eve applaud any nonsensical set of propositions, complete with many INCONSISTENCIES within that set, as long as the audience you are addressing feels 'somewhat praised.'

Heather MacGillivray April 25, 2020 7:56 pm Reply
  • I read many good reviews on the net about how Rotogenflux Methods can assist you improve your IQ in a short period of time. Has any one tried this intelligence boost system?

Bryan Ponce April 25, 2020 7:56 pm Reply
  • Well…I doubt

ursa warrior April 25, 2020 7:56 pm Reply
  • Why there is enormous increase in IQ from 19th to 21st century than 0 to 18th ?
    Movies and digital world. Movies were introduced around beginning of 19th century and most movies from then until now are hypothetical and drive us think the same way. Digital world allowed to see things that we can't imagine just by reading in our books.
    It's not education.

Vijay April 25, 2020 7:56 pm Reply
  • They were like kids lol

樫野崎灯台 April 25, 2020 7:56 pm Reply
  • Some please explain his last sentence? Please I could not understand

S. O. April 25, 2020 7:56 pm Reply
  • How so? How would anyone know? Did somebody administer an I. Q. test to my grandparents?

Scott Hullinger April 25, 2020 7:56 pm Reply
  • We simply have more stimuli. A man's life in the 1500s consists of horses, wheat, etc. While a man's life in the 20th century consists of solving technical problems. Simply we have thoughts geared towards more technical things. Ex. A poor man has to think of financial survival, a billionaire thinks of how to go to Mars. How you survive is instrumental to where your thought process goes. Sorry I just drank a red bull, my thoughts are coming out like the exhaust from an old cars muffler lol.

Antonio Torres April 25, 2020 7:56 pm Reply
  • When I was living in USA about 10 years ago, I was so surprised by the little amount of foreign information media had to offer. Everything was about what happening in the country. I think it is better today with new alternative medias, like the internet. But for a very advanced country, I think it is still extremely little. Like when I was in Japan, medias and people were aware of foreign matters.

yensama April 25, 2020 7:56 pm Reply
  • Is it just me or does this guy sound like Steven Hawkin's talking vocaliser??

a_slime April 25, 2020 7:56 pm Reply
  • 12:47 I suddenly love this guy

James Ashton April 25, 2020 7:56 pm Reply
  • I mean we might be smarter at technology and stuff but let’s be honest… society seems to be dropping in intelligence lol

Loyal Casanova April 25, 2020 7:56 pm Reply
  • Flynn can use 100 words when only 6 are needed and never say anything worth hearing. I'm sorry I wasted 18 minutes watching this. I really don't believe he understands why students now score higher on IQ tests. (ACT and SAT's also.) If he does, he never got around to answering the question he asked to start with.
    It's not complicated. IQ and SAT tests are very similar. I'm old enough that the first time I ever heard of a SAT test was the day I walked into the class room and my teacher said "We're taking the SAT test today." Of course, we all wanted to know —- What's a SAT? Also, we only took the test one time. With the IQ test, at least most of us had heard there was such a thing. Now students study specifically for the tests for months if not years before they take it. Many (or all) take the test more than once. As reported in the New York Times "…on average, retaking the SAT improved scores by nearly 90 points." Of course they score better now.

Ken Barnes April 25, 2020 7:56 pm Reply
  • Does Rotogenflux Methods (google it) help me improve my intelligence? I see many people keep on talking about this iq course.

Sean Ford April 25, 2020 7:56 pm Reply
  • He lost his credibility the moment he made an uninformed comment about Islam. He should show some intellectual honesty and read what Islam preaches before crafting such "abstractions". Or maybe he is aspiring to be a standup comedian rather than a researcher.

O K April 25, 2020 7:56 pm Reply
  • If I found targets which over time showed better accuracy by shooters I would presume that either the people were practicing more… or the target was being moved closer. This analogous to IQ tests I would conclude either people are just getting more practice in those areas covered by IQ tests, or the IQ tests were different.

A basic reading of ancient literature available to and read by common people, such as the Christian letters of Paul and John, then it would be apparent that they were capable of some quite complicated logic and analogies. Unless IQ dropped considerably during the reinassance or just before the industrial revolution before rising to the modern era, then one would presume the problem was with the IQ tests or culture itself.

Joel Reid April 25, 2020 7:56 pm Reply
  • What about the builders of the pyramids 40,000 years ago, grandpa? Moron!

beethovensg April 25, 2020 7:56 pm Reply
  • 177645726536656434362567716497724657878953646657

Àlan 237 April 25, 2020 7:56 pm Reply
  • Yes, our IQs are going up. I believe that most schools and IQ tests have to catch up to where kids really are. Knowing this matters so that we can know the psychology and traits of having a high IQ – and to understand how we think and learn. Many children get into trouble or become depressed simply because they are bored and can't make themselves do schoolwork that doesn't suit them. Although someone like James Flynn would make an excellent elementary teacher.

Teresa Currivan April 25, 2020 7:56 pm Reply