TRAFFIC – THE LOW SPARK OF HIGH-HEELED BOYS – The Low Spark Of High-Heeled Boys (1971) :: SOTW #22

BERGO ’45 – SONG OF THE WEEK #22 :: Devon’s Pick 12/1/13
This is a weekly dive into the musical mind of Bergo ’45.
Take a chair, grab a towel and give it a listen… /////

“My favorite thing about this song is how it seems half as long as it really is.
It gets me every time.” – Devon Beuschel

MUSIC BY BERGO ’45:

Traffic were an English rock band whose members came from the West Midlands. The group formed in April 1967 by Steve Winwood, Jim Capaldi, Chris Wood and Dave Mason. They began as a psychedelic rock group whose early singles were influenced by The Beatles and diversified their sound through the use of instruments such as keyboards like the Mellotron, reed instruments, and by incorporating jazz and improvisational techniques in their music. Their first three singles were “Paper Sun”, “Hole in My Shoe”, and “Here We Go Round the Mulberry Bush”.

After disbanding in 1969, during which time Winwood joined Blind Faith, Traffic reunited in 1970 to release the critically acclaimed album John Barleycorn Must Die. The band’s line-up varied from this point until they disbanded again in 1975, although a partial reunion, with Winwood and Capaldi, took place in 1994.

In 2004, Traffic was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

“The Low Spark Of High-Heeled Boys” by Traffic
The Low Spark Of High-Heeled Boys (1971) Island Records
Written by Steve Winwood & Jim Capaldi

All rights belong to their respective owners
© Island Records

Comments

• Thank you for all the nice comments. Yes, My husband and I did LSD on New Years Eve. It was just our private home.
    Never smoked dope.
    All of you be safe in this awful virus that was let loose on the world.

Martha Jo Williams April 26, 2020 1:38 am Reply
  • This was the greatest time before the first arab oil embargo but hash oil was everywhere..I was at Altamont California and went on to work at KMET Los Angeles! What a trip to have actually lived during that period as a virle and healthy young man!

Rhys Morgan April 26, 2020 1:38 am Reply
  • Up! 💓 Tinja&Markku

Markku Koljonen April 26, 2020 1:38 am Reply
  • Two chords with some improv over it.

mselbit April 26, 2020 1:38 am Reply
  • Yeah this is Jamesdavid S. a.k.a. bear. Tell ya what,I was dragged around (quite willingly) Hollywood the strip & a lot of So.Cal music gigs by my older sister(luv her).at age 8or9 I was hooked on Traffic-low sprak. Only heard them on the outside of a club,still too young to get in but it left me a believer(as it were) . That was a different time& generation, glad I was there for it…ya all stay strong & keep the faith,cause "rock&roll will never die".

David Bear April 26, 2020 1:38 am Reply
  • Steve Winwood performing since he was 14. What a talent!! Always love this song

Teddy JStar April 26, 2020 1:38 am Reply
  • All through the summer of 1975 in Morgantown, WV, I kept this album in the 8-track player of my car. Just let it roll around, over and over again. For a change of pace, I'd put Heart's "Dreamboat Annie" in and let it play for a week or so, then back to Low Spark. Good times.

James Schrumpf April 26, 2020 1:38 am Reply
  • This takes me back!!! <3

Patricia Innis-DeLeon April 26, 2020 1:38 am Reply
  • 'YES"……http://yesworld.com/

mr kerritt April 26, 2020 1:38 am Reply
  • Ther was a time when this was on the radio everday… I miss that radio

Stymie April 26, 2020 1:38 am Reply
  • At 8.38 and 9.00 and possibly elsewhere in that section you can hear the boys yelling out with the exuberance of the fact that they were all getting off on the vibe they had all created – whether it's Steve's piano or Chris' saxes or Jim's drumming or whatever..  Simply amazing.

EnosEverything April 26, 2020 1:38 am Reply
  • 1,701 people who gave this the thumbs down must be fucking deaf or have been ingesting far too much Covid -19 for their own good…  Wankers…   This is utterly glorious.

EnosEverything April 26, 2020 1:38 am Reply
  • April 2020, still sparkin⚘

Zo Valentine April 26, 2020 1:38 am Reply

TheMetalAndPunkA,B,C's April 26, 2020 1:38 am Reply
  • Ment phoenixes

Jeff Schellet April 26, 2020 1:38 am Reply
  • Like sailing the sunset waters till the moonlight paints your sails ,like satyrs dancing to acid rock , colors edding down through the cavities of sail ,rocking and roll ' Thanks 'nothing like the sixties electric and acoustics…….

Jeff Schellet April 26, 2020 1:38 am Reply
  • "We were children once, playing with toys." One of my favorite quotes, ever. I've always told myself I'd never get a tattoo, I'm 29 and still haven't. But gosh be damned if I ever got one there's a fair chance it'd be of that exact quote. Love love love this song forever.

MrWillyWonka April 26, 2020 1:38 am Reply
  • This song is a masterpiece.

Encyclopedia Stupiddica April 26, 2020 1:38 am Reply
  • Session musicians called The Swampers are playing along with Traffic. They also went on a tour with Traffic.

eddo1983 April 26, 2020 1:38 am Reply
  • This is a classic that I haven't heard in a long time.

Debbie Michaels April 26, 2020 1:38 am Reply
  • Brings me back to Jackson Hole '72…played this and JJ Cale every night after skiing all day..what a life!

Moose Mountain Alaska April 26, 2020 1:38 am Reply
  • 🔥
    coment if you listen to this in 2020
    This video lovely
    1:41 ❤💖🔥
    👇👇👇🧡

Carson Newton April 26, 2020 1:38 am Reply
  • I like how people in the comments are so nice and cultured

duck say quack April 26, 2020 1:38 am Reply
  • I Don't need another chance

Jefg Lemonds April 26, 2020 1:38 am Reply
  • Very good music to get stoned listing to was in california in the 70s that is when FM music was great I'm now 69 years old and still sounds good

David Withrow April 26, 2020 1:38 am Reply
  • It grooves.

Marc Varta We Armen April 26, 2020 1:38 am Reply
  • In St.louis kshe brought the blacks guys to rock with this

Randy Mccray April 26, 2020 1:38 am Reply
  • Okay – let me preface my comment by stating this is one of my all-time favorite tunes. Next, let me inject some reality by pointing out the lyrics resonate only for the uber-stoned. Hey, Folks: The words actually make no sense; just a collection of stand-alone phrases that make the listener think he's hearing something deep and meaningful.

Nathaniel Cromartie April 26, 2020 1:38 am Reply
  • Yes, the height of creativity and musicianship. I grew up listening to WLIR on Long Island in the early 70's. The deep tracks they played shaped my musical tastes forever. I'm in my 60's now, retired and play in two Bands. Blues/R&B.

TJ Smith April 26, 2020 1:38 am Reply
  • This song is Like one dream in the Beach special something

Ruben Kbalz April 26, 2020 1:38 am Reply
  • When I'm president, the month of april will be dedicated to ray Charles and stevie winwood….in addition to that, perhaps a elementary school should be named after ReBop no one ever did more with less, god bless him

T April 26, 2020 1:38 am Reply
  • Sounds a lot like Andrew Bird’s “Bloodless”

acrazy840 April 26, 2020 1:38 am Reply
  • 🔥🔥🔥

miles allen April 26, 2020 1:38 am Reply
  • Stevie Winwood is one of the best keyboardists ever and singer too! He is incredibly talented. This song is even more relevant now than ever.

Laura Harlow April 26, 2020 1:38 am Reply
  • A Masterpiece

Phil Cherry April 26, 2020 1:38 am Reply
  • If you see something that looks like a star
    And it's shooting up out of the ground
    And your head is spinning from a loud guitar
    And you just can't escape from the sound
    Don't worry too much, it'll happen to you
    We were children once, playing with toys
    And the thing that you're hearing is only the sound of
    The low spark of high-heeled boys
    The percentage you're paying is too high priced
    While you're living beyond all your means
    And the man in the suit has just bought a new car
    From the profit he's made on your dreams
    But today you just read that the man was shot dead
    By a gun that didn't make any noise
    But it wasn't the bullet that laid him to rest was
    The low spark of high-heeled boys
    If you had just a minute to breathe and they granted you one final wish
    Would you ask for something like another chance?
    Or something similar as this? Don't worry too much
    It'll happen to you as sure as your sorrows are joys
    And the thing that disturbs you is only the sound of
    The low spark of high-heeled boys
    If I gave you everything that I owned and asked for nothing in return
    Would you do the same for me as I would for you?
    Or take me for a ride, and strip me of everything including my pride
    But spirit is something that no one destroys
    And the sound that I'm hearing is only the sound
    The low spark of high-heeled boys

johnny zell April 26, 2020 1:38 am Reply
  • I like the fade in like walking down a long hallway towards the room they are playing in.

Great album.