Repair the Master Boot Record

BIOS and Windows rely on the MBR. It contains information, a map if you will, how the HDD is partitioned and organized. The MBR also instructs BIOS where to find the OS to load. When a the PC fails to boot or a HDD is connected and Windows asks to initialize the drive when you know there is data on the drive, the Master Boot Record (MBR) may be damaged.

Learn how to use AOMEI’s Partition Assistant to repair the MBR. The software is available at

Partition Assistant supports all storage devices recognized by Windows, such as IDE, SATA, SCSI, SSD, USB external disks, Firewire disk, Hardware RAID, Flash drive, and so on. It supports MBR (under 2TB) and GPT (larger than 2TB) up to 32 hard disks, with file system FAT, FAT32, NTFS, EXT2, EXT3 formats.

It supports different versions of Windows depending on the software edition. In general, it works on Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7/8, Small Business Server 2003/2008/2011, Windows home server 2011, and Windows Server 2003/2008/2012 (both 32bit and 64bit).

Comments

• Nope it has completely failed to work for me!

bwalya bwalya May 1, 2020 10:32 am Reply
  • Fu"king 720p….

davlf1 May 1, 2020 10:32 am Reply
  • jeezus man,this is a 2 minute job.just say what to do and preferably in an english accent.what are you rambling about

Sonic Fortress May 1, 2020 10:32 am Reply
  • RCLK, +This PC, (Disk wont initialize),
    Solution; Repair infected/damaged Master Boot Record.
    DWNLD (Partition Assistant Home Edition)
    Select Drive+ RCLK rebuild mbr. Thanks.

Zuli May 1, 2020 10:32 am Reply
  • Did not fix my external drive issue.

bobafett669 May 1, 2020 10:32 am Reply
  • no its stay gpt

Andy Garcia May 1, 2020 10:32 am Reply
  • WAFFLE

Crazycraigy May 1, 2020 10:32 am Reply
  • I have hitachi 2.5" 500gb hard disk, which had window 7 installed on it. after window crashed ,I formatted the hdd and attached it to the USB casing to make it external. I loaded data on it n it was working fine. but one day, laptop was not ejecting (safe remove option) it, I restarted the laptop then it ejected easily but when I attached back to it it said "file system error" and need to format disk before use. I attached it other PCs but same thing. I tried cmd 'check disk command',it says its first boot sector is corrupt and using second boot sector gets aborted.(the disk had 2 partitions one of 100 mb and the other one about 450gb, the smaller one is still accessible and the latter one is inaccessible). (after attaching hard disk USB lights show up and revolutions are ok hard drive has no physical damage).
    How to fix it?

thanks a lot

UPSC CANDIDATE May 1, 2020 10:32 am Reply
  • you talk lots than you act ..

Abd May 1, 2020 10:32 am Reply
  • i dont' see NOTHING !!

Pierluigi Luciano Policella May 1, 2020 10:32 am Reply
  • Uhhhhh

Jeff S. May 1, 2020 10:32 am Reply
  • +ESRepair Dear brother, I've an HP SD320a External HDD. It has same problem as explained in your video. I have tried same way as you have instructed in the video but this is real unfortunate for me that it did not work. After rebuilding MBR my HDD still showing Unallocated. I have got very important data in my HDD.

Please I need a very big help please.

SAYED RAHMAN May 1, 2020 10:32 am Reply
  • uh…

bowzertyui X May 1, 2020 10:32 am Reply
  • I'm not able to find the rebuild MBR option

i'm using the standard version

Feras Darkazanly May 1, 2020 10:32 am Reply
  • I have a problem with my hard drive it have the same problem but when I tried it . It doesn't worked so please help. ……..MBR problem it says many bad sectors it have

Mohammadrahim Hashimi May 1, 2020 10:32 am Reply
  • thanks ESRepair……….
    i got a fix to my problem
    i am trying to fix this problem from 5 day…
    and it was done with u r help

sri varsh May 1, 2020 10:32 am Reply
  • Thanks for sharing

2111935 May 1, 2020 10:32 am Reply
  • Познавательно!

Aduard Malhov May 1, 2020 10:32 am Reply
  • Hi ES repair,

Hope you are well.

When I run the program the pop up screen shows me Size 0 KB and not the actual hard drive size? What am I doing wrong?

Ashley Stroebel May 1, 2020 10:32 am Reply
  • first, you say things as if you had a hot potato between your teeth, and second, you say things so slow and unorganized that even sounds that you dont know what you are saying, the worse is that people do not understant what you say, did you even prepare for what you were doing? did you head your recording after doing it? did you understood after listening? do you thing that someone that has no idea what you are talking about will do fine with you info? doub that

Carlos manuel cabrera alvarado May 1, 2020 10:32 am Reply
  • he kills me when he says master boot record LMAO

Mr McLovin May 1, 2020 10:32 am Reply
  • i need your help… please could you send me your iD?

nikhit May 1, 2020 10:32 am Reply
  • We are sorry the current program has occured an unexpected error… etc

I get this message whenever I plug my external HD

Mohamed Yousif May 1, 2020 10:32 am Reply
  • Based on everything I am reading, my drive should be getting fixed by this process. It seems to successfully go through the Rebuild MBR phase, but it doesn't seem to change anything!!! Help!!!

Adam West May 1, 2020 10:32 am Reply
  • Had a partition that i could not use until i found this. my partition is being merged as i am writing this. Have a couple of hard drives with a bad MBR so i will try them later.

Damian Russell May 1, 2020 10:32 am Reply
  • 500GB Lacie RAW, Unallocated, No MBR, diskpart throws all possible errors. Kids plugged it into a mac then unplugged quickly…it's confused. How to I "factory reset" this hard drive? EXTERNAL

CYBO4G May 1, 2020 10:32 am Reply
  • Thank you .. I was able to get my data off my dead hard drive.. I had to go one step further. I had to run a scandisk ,then repair MBR.

Joe Diaz May 1, 2020 10:32 am Reply
  • I have 300gb WD external drive. Was working fine and then started giving me the message that the disk needs to be formatted. Tried following ur video, and found an odd problem. "Rebuild MBR" does not show up in the left side menu or by right clicking. If I choose disk from the menu list , I see that all the disk related options are disabled. Please advise?

S Kannan May 1, 2020 10:32 am Reply
  • This is the best fastest and easiest way to fix your boot sector thank you so much.

prue420 May 1, 2020 10:32 am Reply
  • Thanks for the help. You just made my day and saved me a lot of time and effort. I had 2 external HDs that Win7 suddenly wouldn't recognize. Using AOMEI's Partition Assistant to check the drive for errors, fixed the problem. Now they are working again with all the data intact.
    I tried using a recovery program first, and while that worked to recover most of the files it took a day to scan and a a day to back up the files (per drive)… AOMEI's Partition Assistant took under 5 min. to fix the drives instread 🙂

Peter M. May 1, 2020 10:32 am Reply
  • hi
    i did as u said and my 24 gb ssd now is 2 mb
    could u tell me please how to fix it
    am on win 8.1
    thanx

Gazi TU May 1, 2020 10:32 am Reply
  • can i repair the mbr of an external hdd also doing this? or is the procedure different??

Aj Padilla jimenez May 1, 2020 10:32 am Reply
  • I downloaded the little program….did the fix but when I restarted my pc a message comes up MBR error. I hit the enter key and windows 7 loads fine….but it drives me crazy. I also did the fix using the windows disk and the same message appears. Does anyone have an  idea how to fix it. Also, when I load the program it shows all of my windows in one sector not in portions.

Dave Schnare May 1, 2020 10:32 am Reply
  • Hello, I have 2 4TB GPT/NTFS disks that became raw. I do see the partitions the MS reserved and the 3.64 tb disk. Due to unknown issues ( believ it was a inlet storage matrix driver that couldn't handle 4TB disks ver 9.x needed 10.1 or above). I do not want to use CHK dsk because it will orphan all my files. The disk became raw suddenly while copying files to the disk. No other data was written when it became raw. Any ideas on if this tool can help me out, i see that it will CHKDSK the disk which i can do manually anyways…

zazzn May 1, 2020 10:32 am Reply
  • Hi Fixer My Western Digital passport 0740 is detect but it would not show and i am trying to find it by disk management method it was found as not initial and  when i am trying initialize pop menu appear as Master boot Record is damaged. plz help me how to recover this Drive

Buy EasyTrip. Com May 1, 2020 10:32 am Reply
  • Genius!  My Windows 7 Dell failed to start either Windows Startup Repair or Windows beyond the startup logo.  Thanks to a hard drive usb adapter, you and AEOMI's Rebuild MBR option, the reinstalled hard disk boots up fine.  Wow!

George Moncure May 1, 2020 10:32 am Reply
  • Hi Mr Fixit i was wondering if u could help me with this issue? I have a WD 1T hard drive that stopped working, it appears as a local drive on my computer with no partition information, i used the MBR repair setting, as i assumed that was the intial problem, the Drive appears as a unformatted drive in the Aomei Partition Assistant.  If i check the harddrive for bad sectors it gives me an elapsed time of 2020:16:30 which is Ridicule to go threw , iv also tried other types of recovery software including forensic tools and i get the same type of problem, where the elapsed time is over 3 years. Could you provide me with any advice.

Miguel Dos santos May 1, 2020 10:32 am Reply
  • Hi MrFixit. I have an external hard drive 1 Tb Hitachi of 1 year use with data in it, since I unplugged without safely remove hardware, It appeared a CRC error (cyclic redundancy check error) and couldn't see it is on my computer anymore, just that its plugged in the usb port.
    device manager say: unallocated unknown, I try to initialize, and crc error appears. There is no letter assign to the disc.
    I used this program and it says MBR done. But the initialize disk still appears as an option on this disk, and before it say how much big in Tb this disk is, and now it says 0kb. what else can I do? haven't tried more with this program, or to initialize it.

Nestor Luglio May 1, 2020 10:32 am Reply
  • The demo assumes the disc is an OS boot disc. The disc I'm trying to recover does not have an OS on it. It had my music collection on it which I'm trying to recover. The MBR seems to be damaged, windows just wants to initialise the disc, when its connected via USB. Can I use this method to recover the disc and if so, what do I choose for the OS. The OS I use on my laptop is WIndows 7, so do I choose that? (That wouldn't make sense to me, because there is no OS on the disc), or is there another method for my scenario, thanks

Plastikfan May 1, 2020 10:32 am Reply
  • plss help. because im using AOMEI partition assistant and im doing wipe disk and formating the drive but when formating my flash drive it stops 24% and it stoping it. what should i do? plzz help

William Cabacang May 1, 2020 10:32 am Reply