In this video we will show how to perform a clean install of Windows Server 2012 R2 standard edition in a VMWare environment. We’ll also provide instruction on installing VMware tools in the new Windows Server 2012 installation. Check out or for more of our always free training videos.
Download the PDF handout
In order to install Windows Server 2012, you require a 1.4Ghz 64bit CPU (32bit CPU’s are not supported) 512Megabytes of RAM, and 32Gigabyes of free space. This will be enough to install Windows Server, however this is the bare minimum. For any production system you should have 1 Gigabyte or 2 Gigabytes of RAM at a minimum and more free hard space. Usually anywhere from 50-100 Gigabytes of free space is enough for basic Windows Server installs. The amount of RAM and disk space you require will ultimately be determined by what you are planning to use the server for.
In this demonstration, Windows Server 2012 R2 standard edition will be installed to a virtual machine running on vSphere. This particular virtual machine is configured to use the EFI firmware rather than the BIOS firmware. EFI is a newer boot environment designed for 64bit systems.
1) Once the DVD containing the install media is in the optical drive, in this case the install media is an ISO file and has been mounted to the virtual machine, the next step is to make sure that the computer is configured to boot from that install media. In vSphere this is done by selecting the VM menu and then selecting edit settings. Once the settings are open, select the tab options and then select “Boot Options”. On this screen, tick the option “The next time the virtual machine boots, force entry into the EFI setup screen”.
2) Once the virtual machine starts up it will go straight into the EDI boot screen. To make sure the system boots from the ISO mounted to the optical drive, select the option “Boot Manager” and then select the option for the virtual CDROM drive.
3) If an operating system already exists on the hard disk you will get a message saying “Press any key to boot from CD or DVD”. Because the EFI system is being used, this may incorrectly detect any operating system on the drive when none is installed. If you get this message, press any key to start the setup process, otherwise the computer will attempt to boot off the first hard disk in the system.
4) The computer will load Windows PE from the optical drive into memory. Once this has been loaded it will be run automatically and then the setup will run from the DVD.
5) The first screen of the setup will ask which language, time and currency format and keyboard you would like to use.
6) On the next screen you will need to press the “install now” option to start the Windows Server install. There is also an option on this screen to “Repair your computer”. If the computer experiences problems booting, select this option and you may be able to fix these problems.
7) The next screen will ask for a product key. The product key entered in here will determine which edition of Windows Server 2012 R2 will be installed. The DVD will need to contain this edition of Windows Server 2012 R2 in order to perform the install. If the DVD does not contain this edition, setup will inform you and the install will not be able to continue.
8) The next screen will ask which edition you want to install from the DVD and if it is the core or full edition of Windows.
9) The next screen will ask if you accept the license terms. Once you have read the license terms, tick the tickbox “I accept the license terms” and move on in the wizard.
10) The next screen asks if an upgrade or clean install is being performed. If you wish to perform an in-place upgrade, setup must be run from the operating system that you want to perform the upgrade from. In this case, a new install of Windows Server 2012 R2 is going to be performed so the second option “Custom: Install Windows only (advanced)” is selected.
11) On the next screen you can create partitions to install Windows on. Your drive should appear here. If it does not you will need to select the option “Load driver” and load additional device drivers into the system. This is common with hard disks that have been combined together using systems like RAID. In most cases you will select the option for unallocated space and let Windows create the required partitions. If you want to, you can create the partitions manually.
Description to long for YouTube. Please see the following link for the rest of the description.
Xem thêm Bài Viết:
- Tìm hiểu cổng HDMI ARC là gì và những ưu điểm vượt trội
- Góc chia sẻ: Cách đấu loa song song và nối tiếp chi tiết nhất
- Sửa lỗi a required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing hiệu quả
- Cục phát wifi là gì? Cách cài đặt wifi tenda n300 như thế nào?
- Sửa lỗi the application was unable to start correctly 0xc00007b win 8 nhanh