How To: Install Ubuntu on Chromebook and REMOVE ChromeOS

I will not tell you if your Chromebook is compatible. If you want to know it your Chromebook is compatible, you’re going to have to figure out what processor you’re working with. Then figure out what architecture it is built on (Braswell, Skylake, etc) and then go here to see if that architecture is compatible.

If you want to install Ubuntu on your Chromebook and remove Chrome OS, this tutorial is for you. This is not a dual boot. This will REPLACE ChromeOS with Ubuntu.

#Ubuntu #Chromebook #ChromeOS

THIS WILL DELETE EVERYTHING FROM YOUR CHROMEBOOK.

Instructions were taken from these locations:

/=========================================/

What you’ll need:
– Chromebook (I’m using the Acer C720)
– Live Linux USB drive (I’m using Ubuntu 18.04)

/=========================================/

Step 1. Enable Developer mode

Developer mode will wipe your Chromebook back to factory settings so make sure you back up any data not on your Google drive.

With your Chromebook turned off hold down the ESC and Refresh While keeping them held down, press the power button once.

Press Ctrl + D to bypass this screen.

Press Enter at the next screen.

On the next screen press Ctrl + D to bypass this message.

You will see a timer counting down in the top right hand corner of the screen. The Chromebook will reboot and you’ll see the screen with the red exclamation mark.

Developer mode is now enabled, power off the Chromebook.

Step 2. Modify the Chromebooks BIOS

By enabling developer mode, your Chromebook will always display the screen with the red exclamation mark on startup. Let’s now modify the BIOS to allow us to install Linux.

Turn the Chromebook on and press Ctrl + D to bypass the screen with the red exclamation mark.

Your Chromebook is reset to factory settings so you will need to go through the Chrome OS setup again.

Press Ctrl + Alt + T to bring up a terminal window tab.

Type shell and press Enter.

Type this: cd;bash ˂(curl

** You’ll have to replace that angle bracket with the one on your keyboard. YouTube won’t let me use an actual angle bracket after the “bash”

Choose the option to Modify my Chromebook’s RW_LEGACY slot and follow the on-screen instructions.

Step 3. Enable USB boot

Pressing Ctrl + D at the screen with the red exclamation mark on startup will take you to your Chrome OS install but pressing Ctrl + L will take you to the BIOS screen to boot from your USB drive. Let’s turn on the Ctrl + L functionality next:

Press Ctrl + D at the initial startup screen to load Chrome OS.
Press Ctrl + Alt + F2 at the Chrome OS login screen.

Login using the password chronos

At the terminal prompt, type sudo crossystem dev_boot_usb=1 dev_boot_legacy=1

Power off the Chromebook by typing in sudo poweroff

Now on startup, if you press Ctrl + L, you will get the BIOS screen instead of Chrome OS.

Step 4. Install Linux

At this stage most of the work is done and all that’s left is to install Linux:

Plug in your USB drive into the USB port of your Chromebook.

Plug in your live Linux USB into the other USB port.

Power on the Chromebook and press Ctrl + L to get to the BIOS screen.

Press ESC when prompted and you will see 3 drives: the USB drive, the live Linux USB drive (I am using Ubuntu) and the eMMC (the Chromebooks internal drive). Choose the live Linux USB drive.

Choose the option Try Ubuntu without installing. When Linux loads make sure you can connect to the internet (I am using my trusty USB to Ethernet hub combo for a wired connection).

Click on the Install Ubuntu 18.04 LTS icon and follow the on screen prompts until you get to Installation type.

We want to leave the Chromebook’s internal drive untouched so choose the option to do something else so that we can manually setup the partitions for Ubuntu.

Ignore all the mmc partitions and look for your USB drive, if you’re not sure, look at the size of the drive.

Check your partitions are correct and continue the install.

The rest of the install is a standard install so just follow the on screen prompts.

Once finished, reboot, remove the live Linux USB and press Ctrl + L
You now have Linux installed. Run the software updates to make sure you have the latest firmware, drivers and software.

/=========================================/

DO NOT DM ME ON SOCIAL MEDIA ASKING FOR TECH SUPPORT. LEAVE YOUR QUESTIONS IN THE COMMENT SECTION ON THE APPROPRIATE VIDEO AND I WILL ANSWER IT THERE.

/=========================================/

HOPE – Instrumental ( Free For Profit Use )
Prod. by
Free For Profit Beats ✪

is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution license (
Promoted by: CFC

Comments

• John Lewis left the Chromebook scene years ago, and his firmware was never the best option available. You should instead link to my site/firmware, which is actively developed and supports a much, much wider range of devices (it's also Windows compatible). I'm tired of getting support requests for people trying to use his stuff because you recommended it =P

firmware: https://mrchromebox.tech/
    support: https://www.reddit.com/r/chrultrabook/

Mr Chromebox April 20, 2020 5:29 am Reply
  • @6:58 I dont have the #1 option

TheChief214 April 20, 2020 5:29 am Reply
  • :/ aww crap

Hikaru Ashai Editz April 20, 2020 5:29 am Reply
  • Need Some Help! ~Sound issues~
    i need someone to help me with this issue

So i successfully installed Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS and im very happy it worked 'Thank you DB Tech :)' For about 20 Minutes of tinkering and updating the system and installing software i finally encountered a issue,The System would not output any sound, i began to tinker with it a bit and look up forums and even went to the back of google to find the answer and could not,i tryed installing drivers and configuring AlsaMixer i found the problem,My sound card Couldent be detected,i have configured with BIOS,CFF settings and couldn't get a result , i made some assumptions of what could be happening but it never got to me

Note : i might edit this comment with more detail later
    Note : in chroot/Dual boot it detects my sound card and displays it as CRAS and in the installation of ubuntu it says the default card

if anyone knows the answer please leave a reply to this comment,Here is my chromebook details and install details
    if you need anymore detail leave a reply,i will be checking the reply's Daily for the next 1-2 months

Model : C302 – CAVE D25-A4C-E2E-33A – Flip
    Ram : 3.8 GB
    processor : intel Core m3
    Energy star
    version of ubuntu installed : Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS
    Sound card – cras ~ idk thats what it told me ~
    usb slot – NO
    sd card slot – no
    micro sd card slot – yes ~Works same as all others~

Killer Kat April 20, 2020 5:29 am Reply
  • I feel like doing the same but can this process be reversed? Should I create a backup image or is there a way to get a clean copy online?

Joe Collazo April 20, 2020 5:29 am Reply
  • Brilliant. Just finished installing on my ACER Chromebook CB3-111 and had no issues whatsoever. Thanks a ton!

Kartik Jayaraman April 20, 2020 5:29 am Reply
  • I'm at the end of the installation process in Ubuntu but I get this pop up saying: Unable to install GRUB in /Dev/mmcblk1
    Executing 'grub-install /Dev/mmcblk1' failed.
    This is a fatal error.

Elegant Ancero April 20, 2020 5:29 am Reply
  • Would you also like to make a video about installing ubuntu on an AMD chromebook? for example the chromebook 315 – 2H – 44LA

Satif Belaarbi April 20, 2020 5:29 am Reply
  • ehh… dosn't work + I even broke my chrome os ;(

Wojciech Skrobot April 20, 2020 5:29 am Reply
  • Awesome!!! It worked on Dell Chromebook. Houston, we have Lift-off🛰👩🏻‍🚀📡 Thanks DB.

Eric Christian April 20, 2020 5:29 am Reply
  • Error 23 failed writing body

cgwworldministries April 20, 2020 5:29 am Reply
  • your script wont let me get passed the check i tried it like 4 times in a row and i copied it word for word

levi Fate April 20, 2020 5:29 am Reply
  • hi DB Tech, I recently bought a Dell Chromebook. I have trying to install google play store. I already changed to Beta mode, but no luck. I need the play store so badly because I need to download Microsoft Remote Desktop on it. please help.

RKT 2 April 20, 2020 5:29 am Reply
  • I deleted chrome os fully how can I change it it won't let me run linux or windows and I don't have chrome os because i formatted it help

Glitch Runners April 20, 2020 5:29 am Reply
  • I'm using Asus Flip C434 (Intel Kabylake) . I can't get to seabios after I shut down the ubuntu and turn on again. It says missing legacy boot.How can I enable it if I can't get to terminal ?

Robert Sjamsuar April 20, 2020 5:29 am Reply
  • Please help if you can

In shell the Johnlewis file when you accept the risks and it goes to the options with numbers on mine it has only 3 to 7 options do i choose the option (flash a full rom to my chromebook)? Or do i click ( flash a full shellball rom to my chromebook)? Or restart the process? Thank you

Darron B April 20, 2020 5:29 am Reply
  • I've done this twice and lost my os but i dont care i still want ubuntu i had to use a usb to get back to chrome os

Mason Topham April 20, 2020 5:29 am Reply
  • im REALLY debating if i should do this

Possibly Random Gaming Clips?? April 20, 2020 5:29 am Reply
  • Ctl L just makes a loud. Beeping sound.

Xsi Nick April 20, 2020 5:29 am Reply
  • Thanks man, followed your steps and it worked great!

J. Kapil Renninger April 20, 2020 5:29 am Reply
  • Is a broadwell supported?

Rethan 2213 April 20, 2020 5:29 am Reply
  • I can confirm this is working on my Chromebook Acer c720. I ran into this problem where after the installation there would be a boot error and the boot menu. I reinstall it leaving the flash drive in my pc during the restart after it installed everything is working fine right now. I was never able to get ubuntu to work but I ended using Manjaro XFCE 19.0.1. Also if you're wondering I used BalenaEtcher to put the iso on my flash drive. Thank you so much for the video it was really helpful!

BlazinNova April 20, 2020 5:29 am Reply
  • Just subscribed, your tutorials are always super straight forward. Thanks again David.

John Cantrell April 20, 2020 5:29 am Reply
  • Id really love to just install Debian Buster (arm) and be done with it

davkdavk April 20, 2020 5:29 am Reply
  • This method works perfectly for me

Sia Patel April 20, 2020 5:29 am Reply
  • Hi.. is there a way I can make it directly boot into Linux, without me doing Ctrl+l all the time? Thanks!

realtechnerd April 20, 2020 5:29 am Reply
  • i've installed Ubuntu on different partitions i created on a flash drive. it is a usb bootable system wich is capable of install updates and steam with some games. i can play on any computer wich can boot up from usb. xD

robin van kralingen April 20, 2020 5:29 am Reply
  • is there another method to install this in a chromebook ? and still remove the chromeos ? with a better firmware !?

xMenooOl Gomez April 20, 2020 5:29 am Reply
  • Ctrl l isn't working

The Kiwi April 20, 2020 5:29 am Reply
  • is there a way to uistall it

Social Robloxian April 20, 2020 5:29 am Reply
  • on the developer screen my Asus C300 freezes when I Ctrl+L or repeatedly tap esc. I'm going to re-enable OS verification and re-attempt this from step one.

final boss April 20, 2020 5:29 am Reply
  • ok i did that and no audio is coming from my laptop again, little help? idk where to get audio drivers for linux

Pedro Henrique April 20, 2020 5:29 am Reply
  • Installed GalliumOS on an Acer C720 with a similar process to what you've documented except I used Mr Chromebox's firmware (after removing the firmware write protection screw). Thanks for the video and maintaining the comments thread highlighting new information such as Mr Chrombox's offerings.

Sean Kibler April 20, 2020 5:29 am Reply
  • is this the new version

Edinbro026 April 20, 2020 5:29 am Reply
  • If i have a chromebook that has android compatible, what happens, do i get to install android apps?

Stephan Rozin April 20, 2020 5:29 am Reply